Singapore government has passed a law recently that covers the work injury compensation. This law helps the employee who is injured while working for the employer. Although its the duty of the employer to compensate the employee for the injury but, you must know the complete process to file the claim. Here is a complete guide on claiming work injury compensation:
For cases with temporary incapacity
If you are the one with an injury that lead to temporary incapacity, the process would be very straight. You have to simply report about the accident to your employer as soon as possible and ask for compensation, lost earning and treatment for the work-related accident.
Report the Accident
- The first thing that you have to do after getting injured is to get the medical help and report about the same to the employer. If you don’t do that, the employer may doubt your injury and they may refuse the compensation saying that the injury or illness was sustained before the work itself.
- If you have been hospitalized for a minimum of 24 hours and need to have MC of 4 days (consecutive days is not mandatory) then its the duty of your employer to inform the same to MOM
- You’ll have to handover the original MC to the employer for the claim of your medical expenses. Make sure that you keep a copy of the MC with you.
- You must also inform the MOM if the employer denies or refuse to pay your medical bills and lost earnings or does not inform MOM about the situation.
For the people with permanent incapacity
People who have an injury with permanent incapacity, the process is a bit complex.
- Inform about the situation to your employer immediately. The employer should pay the medial leave wages and also your medical bills.
- Its the duty of the employer to inform the same to MOM and then MOM will send you the claim application form.
- As you receive the form, you can make the choice whether you want to make a claim under WICA or not.
- If you are ready with the claim from WICA, then you will have to go for the medical examination that should explain the extent of your incapacity. Make sure that you attend all the medical assessments, otherwise you may face issues for the claim. You are free to seek treatment from any hospital of your choice but your company may ask you to seek treatment in their approved hospitals.
- As the process completes, you will get a notice notifying about the insurer amount and other things.
You are free to file a claim for WICA on your own and if you wish you can hire a lawyer too who will assist you the matter further.
Filing a Civil Claim
Although WICA is created to help employees in case of emergency situations, you can even file a civil claim from the employer. But make sure that you cannot file both civil claims and work-place related injury claims at the same time.